777. Double taxation reliefs.

Double taxation reliefs apply to capital gains tax on the same basis as they apply to income tax1. They also apply to corporation tax on chargeable gains2. Relief may be given under the terms of a double taxation agreement3 with a particular territory or, failing that, unilateral relief4 is given by way of credit for the overseas tax against the capital gains tax5. There is a duty to take all reasonable steps to minimise the foreign tax