758. Compromise and civil money penalties in cases of fraud.

Criminal proceedings may be instituted against a person who has evaded tax by making a fraudulent claim to income tax relief, personal allowances or to an expenses deduction1. The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs may, however, accept a money settlement instead of instituting criminal proceedings in respect of fraud alleged to have been committed by a taxpayer