Any court1 dealing with an offender in respect of his offence must have regard to the following purposes of sentencing2:
(1) the punishment of offenders3;
(2) the reduction of crime (including its reduction by deterrence)4;
(3) the reform and rehabilitation of offenders5;
(4) the protection of the public6; and
(5) the making of reparation by offenders to persons affected by their offences7.
However, this does not apply:
(a) in relation to an offender who is aged under 18 at the time of conviction
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and millions of others like it, sign-in to LexisLibrary or register for a free trial.
EXISTING USER? SIGN IN
TAKE A FREE TRIAL
0330 161 1234