59. Who may bring proceedings.

A person may bring proceedings against a public authority1 for a breach of Convention rights2 only if he is or would be a victim of the unlawful act3. Only individuals, groups of individuals and non-governmental organisations qualify as 'victims' for these purposes4, and proceedings may as a rule only be brought if the victim has been personally affected by the alleged violation5. If the proceedings are brought on an application for judicial review6, the applicant is taken to have sufficient interest in relation to the unlawful act only if he is a victim