849. Reference of claim to a committee for peerage claims.

If a petition on a peerage claim is referred to the House of Lords, the House may refer it to a committee for peerage claims1 which hears the claim in accordance with the Standing Orders of the House2. The committee may examine witnesses on oath, order the production of documents and hear counsel3. When the claim comes before a committee, the Attorney General represents the Crown's interest and takes up a position of nominal opposition, but is present more especially to advise the committee when requested to do so4. If the petition is in respect of a pre-Union Scottish