844. Petition to claim peerage in abeyance.

A claim to a peerage in abeyance1 is made by petitioning the Crown through the Lord Chancellor that the petitioner may be declared a co-heir and that the abeyance may be terminated in his favour2. Since 1927 the Crown has indicated that no claim for a peerage in abeyance will be received in cases where the abeyance lasted for more than one hundred years. This decision followed a recommendation of the Select Committee on Peerages in Abeyance 1927