846. Claims in cases of dispute or doubt: petition to the Crown.

Any person pursuing a claim to a peerage after the Lord Chancellor has refused entry on the Roll of the Peerage1 or praying for the termination of an abeyance2 must proceed by petition to the Crown. The petition is presented through the Crown Office3, which refers it to the Attorney General to report on the claim4. Petitions relating to pre-Union Scottish peerages are referred to the Advocate General for Scotland5, as are post-Union peerages with a strong Scottish connection6.

In a claim by right the law officer usually advises the Crown to refer the claim to the House of Lords7.