539. Opinions by the UK Intellectual Property Office.

The proprietor of a patent or any other person may request the comptroller1 to issue an opinion on a prescribed matter in relation to a patent2. An opinion can be requested even if the patent has expired or has been surrendered3. The comptroller must issue an opinion if requested to do so, but must not do so if:


    (1)     the request appears to him to be frivolous or vexatious or the question upon which the opinion is sought appears to him to have been sufficiently considered in any relevant proceedings4;


    (2)     the requestor gives him notice in writing that