857. Excess votes.

857.     Excess votes.

If a department exceeds in any year the amount of money which Parliament has allowed it to spend, it must obtain a vote of the House of Commons for the extra expenditure1. This is obtained by means of an additional grant, called an excess vote, which should be sanctioned by Parliament as soon as possible after the excess of expenditure has been ascertained2.