401. Making of access agreements.

A local planning authority1 may make an access agreement2 with any person who has an interest in any land3 in its area which is open country4. Where the land is outside a national park5 and comprises all or any part of, or land adjacent to, a river6 or canal, it must first consult with and seek the consent of the Environment Agency7 of the land is in England and the Natural Resources Body for Wales if the land is in Wales, and in either case of such authorities having statutory functions relating to it as the Secretary of State