549. Jurisdiction and procedure for possession proceedings.

Most claims by a mortgagee for possession must be brought under the Civil Procedure Rules1 in the County Court2 and what is, in essence, a possession claim is treated as such, notwithstanding that the relief claimed includes foreclosure or other relief3. Only in exceptional circumstances may claims for possession be brought in the Chancery Division of the High Court4.

Before proceedings are begun it should be confirmed that the right to possession has arisen5 and any necessary notice given6.

549–564     Proceedings for Possession

Coronavirus alert: subject to certain exceptions, all proceedings for possession brought under CPR Pt 55 and all proceedings seeking