171. Compensation money.

171.     Compensation money.

If, on the compulsory acquisition of mortgaged land, a lump sum is paid into court by the acquiring authority in respect of the interests of the mortgagor and mortgagee, the court will apportion the amount between the mortgagor and mortgagee; usually, however, where the mortgagee is not in possession, the acquiring authority will treat with the mortgagor for the full value of the land, leaving him to discharge the mortgage1. Special statutory provision is made entitling the acquiring authority to redeem the mortgagee's interest in the land, including provision for cases where the mortgage