640. Provision of accommodation by local authority.

If a local authority1 proposes to make arrangements: (1) for the provision of residential accommodation for a person ('P') who lacks capacity2 to agree to the arrangements3; or (2) for a change in P's residential accommodation4, and is satisfied that there is no person (other than one engaged in providing care or treatment for P in a professional capacity or for remuneration)5 whom it would be appropriate for it to consult in determining what would be in P's best interests6, then before making such arrangements the local authority must instruct an independent mental capacity advocate7 to represent P unless