255. Temporary registration for visiting eminent specialists.

A person who is an eminent specialist in a particular branch of medicine and who is or intends to be in the United Kingdom temporarily for the purpose of providing medical services within that branch of medicine may apply to the General Medical Council to be registered temporarily as a fully registered medical practitioner1.

If the eminent specialist satisfies the registrar2:


    (1)     that he holds, or has passed all the qualifying examinations necessary for obtaining, an acceptable overseas qualification3;


    (2)     that he is entitled to practise medicine in the state where he is ordinarily resident4;


    (3)     that he is or