903. Request for transfer of existing tenancy in the social rented sector in England.

The Localism Act 2011 introduced new provisions dealing with the transfer and exchange of tenancies in the social rented sector1. The details are as follows.

If the tenants ('the relevant tenants') under two or more tenancies2 of dwelling houses in England3 ('the existing tenancies') make a request in writing to the landlord4 under each existing tenancy asking the landlord to:


    (1)     permit the relevant tenant or tenants under the existing tenancy to surrender it5; and


    (2)     to grant a new tenancy of the dwelling house let under the tenancy to another relevant tenant or other relevant tenants6,

then the landlord must