98. Returning residents.

A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom1 as a returning resident2 may be admitted for settlement provided the immigration officer is satisfied that he had indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom when he last left3, that he has not been away for longer than two years4, that he did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom5, and that he now seeks admission for the purpose of settlement6. The rules include a discretion to admit a person as a returning resident who cannot benefit from these provisions