419. Single farm payment entitlement units.

Most transactions in agricultural land will involve the transfer of single farm payment entitlement units. In normal circumstances a buyer should expect to acquire an entitlement unit for each eligible hectare comprised in the land to be purchased or let. Although the lease of entitlements is possible, entitlements are normally transferred to the tenant for the duration of the relevant tenancy term and returned to the landlord on termination1.

The seller should provide the buyer with a copy of the seller's Rural Payments Agency (RPA)2 register of entitlement units. Once this has been reviewed by the buyer's surveyor, contract provisions