172. Local authorities and parish and community councils.

Local authorities and parish and community councils have a variety of powers to acquire, appropriate and dispose of land1. Power to acquire land for the provision of accommodation is given by the Housing Act 19852. Powers for the compulsory purchase of land are conferred by many statutes3.

A local authority or council generally has power to dispose of land but must obtain the consent of the Secretary of State or the Welsh Ministers if the disposal is for less than the best price that could be obtained4. In such a case, consent must be obtained before contracts are exchanged, or