473. Loss, deprivation and renunciation.

A British national (overseas) who ceased at any time before 1 July 1997 to be a British overseas territories citizen1 ceased at the same time to be a British national (overseas)2.

A British national (overseas)3 of full age and capacity4 may renounce his citizenship by declaration, upon registration of which he ceases to be a British overseas citizen5. However, the person must have or be about to acquire some other citizenship or nationality6. The Secretary of State7 must be satisfied on this point; and even if the declaration is registered, should the renouncer not acquire some such other citizenship within