448. Acquisition by naturalisation: Crown service outside the United Kingdom or service in the armed forces.

An applicant who, on the date of the application1, is serving outside the United Kingdom in Crown service under the government of the United Kingdom may be granted a certificate of naturalisation by the Secretary of State2 without a residence requirement if the following requirements are fulfilled3:


    (1)     the applicant is of full age and capacity4, and is of good character5;


    (2)     the applicant has a sufficient knowledge of the English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic language6;


    (3)     the applicant has sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom7; and


    (4)     the applicant intends, if granted naturalisation as a British