228. Voting at elections.

Each member of the armed forces, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere and, if he or she wishes, his or her spouse or civil partner, may make a service declaration for the purpose of voting in parliamentary, European Parliament and local government elections, and is entitled to be registered as an elector1. Where such a declaration is properly made and in force, the person concerned must be treated for the purposes of registration as resident on that date at the address specified in the declaration and, until the contrary is proved, as being a holder of British nationality