589. Appeals from the Service Civilian Court.

A person convicted by the Service Civilian Court1 may appeal to the Court Martial2: (1) if he pleaded guilty, against his sentence3; (2) if he did not plead guilty, against his conviction or sentence4. Any such appeal must be brought within the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which the person was sentenced ('the initial period'), or within such longer period as the Court Martial may allow by leave given before the end of the initial period5. The Court Martial may at any later time give leave for an appeal to be brought within such period