Rely on the most comprehensive, up-to-date legal content designed and curated by lawyers for lawyers
Work faster and smarter to improve your drafting productivity without increasing risk
Accelerate the creation and use of high quality and trusted legal documents and forms
Streamline how you manage your legal business with proven tools and processes
Manage risk and compliance in your organisation to reduce your risk profile
Stay up to date and informed with insights from our trusted experts, news and information sources
Access the best content in the industry, effortlessly — confident that your news is trustworthy and up to date.
Find up-to-date guidance on points of law and then easily pull up sources to support your advice with Lexis PSL
With over 30 practice areas, we have all bases covered. Find out how we can help
Our trusted tax intelligence solutions, highly-regarded exam training and education materials help guide and tutor Tax professionals
Regulatory, business information and analytics solutions that help professionals make better decisions
A leading provider of software platforms for professional services firms
In-depth analysis, commentary and practical information to help you protect your business
LexisNexis Blogs shed light on topics affecting the legal profession and the issues you're facing
Legal professionals trust us to help navigate change. Find out how we help ensure they exceed expectations
Lex Chat is a LexisNexis current affairs podcast sharing insights on topics for the legal profession
Discuss the latest legal developments, ask questions, and share best practice with other LexisPSL subscribers
The MOJ has circulated the 81st Update PD Document with Practice Directions amendments which, in the main, come into force on Thursday 1 October alongside the CPR rules changes which were the subject of our blog on 28 July 2015 – see 6 CPR Changes for October 2015.
The changes in summary are:
1. Changes have been made to Practice Direction 6 B to reflect the changes to the jurisdictional service gateways agreed by the CPR Committee, in their meeting of 12 June 2015.This involves:
a) New: gateway (4A): same or closely connected facts;
b) Expansion: gateway (9): tort claims;
c) Expansion: gateway (11): claims about property within the jurisdiction;
d) Expansion: gateway (13): administration of a person’s estate;
e) Expansion: gateway (15): constructive trusts;
f) New: gateway (17): restitution claims; and
g) New: gateway (21): claims for breach of confidence or misuse of private information.
2. Changes to Practice Direction 8 to deal with the new regulations: Proceedings under The Telecommunications Restriction Orders (Custodial Institutions) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015.
3.A new Practice Direction 8C is added to deal with Alternative Procedure for Statutory Review of Certain Planning Matters. This is set out in Schedule 1 in the 81st Update PD Making Document.
4.Amendments to Practice Direction 30 dealing with transfer of cases between the Competition Appeal Tribunal and the High Court. This includes amendments and completing new provisions dealing with the transfer from High Court to CAT.
5. Changes to Practice Direction 47 to reflect changes commencement of detailed assessment hearings and the hearing itself when a costs management order has been made. A breakdown of the costs claimed for each phase of the proceedings will now be required. A new para 5.1A is also added dealing with a new costs precedent: Precedent Q which is the model form of breakdown of the costs claimed for each phase of the proceedings.
6. Changes to Practice Direction dealing with changes to existing pilot schemes and the introduction of new pilot schemes:
a) The County Court at Central London multi track pilot scheme in PD 51I has been extended for a further year to 29 September 2015;
b) New Bill of costs Pilot Scheme in PD 51L to commence on 1 October 2015 until 1 April 2016. This is voluntary;
c) New Financial Markets Test Case Scheme in PD 51M to commence on 1 October 2015 for 2 years. It will operate in the new Financial List in the Chancery Division and the Commercial Court; and
d) New Shorter and flexible trials pilot schemes in PD 51N to commence on 1 October 2015 for 2 years. It will operate in the Rolls Building courts – a term defined in the practice direction.
7. Changes to Practice Direction dealing with Appeals to the Court of Appeal to correct a reference error.
8. New Practice Direction 54E for Planning court claims - a new Practice Direction is to be substituted into the old wording.
9. New Practice Direction 63AA for the New Financial List.
10. New court forms for use in the New Financial List.
Full details of the changes are available:
Practice Direction Updates for 1 October 2015
Copy of Practice Direction 51L New Bill of Costs Pilot Excel version of precedent
Annex Precedent AA New Model Form of Costs
LexisPSL Dispute Resolution subscribers can access a more detailed review of the rule and practice direction changes here: CPR changes—October 2015 (rules and PDs).
Access this article and thousands of others like it free by subscribing to our blog.
Read full article
Already a subscriber? Login
Janna is a dispute resolution lawyer. She deals primarily with cross border issues and is active in the work being undertaken in relation to the implications of Brexit for Dispute Resolutions lawyers. Janna also heads up a LexisNexis costs team bringing together expertise from across the company to deal with the costs issues facing the profession.
0330 161 1234