How is Companies House operating during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis?

How is Companies House operating during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis?

Companies House has a dedicated information page regarding the services that it is able to offer during the coronavirus crisis, summarised as follows:

same day services—same day services are suspended until further notice

filing—in general, other online services continue, namely:

◦ File your company's annual accounts with Companies House

◦ File your confirmation statement (annual return) with Companies House

◦ Tell Companies House about changes to your limited company

However if your accounts will be late because your company is affected by COVID-19, and your filing deadline has not yet passed, you can apply for an automatic and immediate 3 month extension to file your accounts. Applications can be made here. You must apply before your filing deadline. If you do not apply for an extension and your accounts have been filed late, an automatic penalty will be imposed. Details of paying penalties can be found here. If you need to make an appeal as regards late filing penalties see here.

access to offices—Companies House’ offices are closed to the public. In Belfast you can deliver any paper documents, in a sealed envelope, to the reception desk on the ground floor of The Linenhall (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm excluding holidays). In Edinburgh you can deliver any paper documents to the Companies House letterbox next to the office building. In London there is no letterbox at the office - you must send all mail directly to the Cardiff office at: Companies House Crown Way Cardiff CF14 3UZ

enquiries—Companies House can be contacted via email at:

document orders—Companies House is currently unable to offer the ordering service for older documents not shown on the filing history of Companies House Direct (CHD) or DVD-ROM / archived documents orders

repurchase of shares (SH03) and schemes of arrangement—HMRC has introduced an electronic service to temporarily replace their usual Stamp Duty process. Your SH03 form is normally sent to HMRC for stamping if the purchase is above the duty payable threshold. You’ll still need to send your form to HMRC - they will issue your company with a letter instead of stamping the form. Companies House will accept and register an unstamped SH03 form if it’s accompanied by the letter from HMRC confirming that the correct duty has been paid. Companies House will also accept and register court orders sanctioning schemes of arrangement which are accompanied by either the letter from HMRC confirming that the correct duty has been paid or a letter from HMRC confirming that no duty is payable.

applications to remove your home address from the public register (SR01) —complete form SR01 and email it as a digital attachment to

applications to restrict the disclosure of your information (sections 243790ZF and 790ZG of the Companies Act 2006)—apply online here

For further information see Practice Note: Coronavirus (COVID–19)—impact on company filing and administrative procedures.

Related Articles:
Latest Articles: