New Right to Buy Form to be used from 4 August 2014 (England)

The form of notice to be used by a council or housing association tenant claiming to exercise the right to buy his or her dwelling-house, in accordance with  the Housing Act 1985, s 122, is updated.

From the 4 August 2014 a tenant wishing to purchase their home under the Right to Buy or Preserved Right to Buys schemes should use the new simpler “RTB1” form.

The changes to the form “RTB1” are designed to make the form easier for applicants to complete, including an eligibility checklist, clearer guidance and links to supporting information. It also incorporates greater security against fraud.

The Department for Communities and Local Government will monitor the effectiveness of the form, via feedback from tenants and social landlords. Further guidance will be issued if necessary.

See the form here.

This change is prescribed by the Housing (Right to Buy) (Prescribed Forms) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2014 (SI 2014/1797)( the “2014 Regulations”) which replace the form set out in Schedule 1 to the Housing (Right to Buy) (Prescribed Forms) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/2194) (“the 1986 Regulations”). By virtue of regulation 2 of the 1986 Regulations, a form substantially to the same effect as that set out in the Schedule to these Regulations may be used.


Filed Under: Property

Relevant Articles
Area of Interest